Your website homepage is the first impression most people will get of your brand and business. You want to make sure that it is designed in such a way to attract, engage and convert those visitors into customers and long-term fans of your brand. Make sure your website home page is ready for visitors with our website home page copywriting checklist.
With our Website Home Page Copywriting Checklist, you can make sure your website home page has all the proper marketing, visitor engagement, and list-building components to be successful. See the video for our analysis of several websites using the checklist.
First things first—design.
Here are some questions to help you evaluate the effectiveness of the design on your site:
- Look: Is the design professional and uncluttered? Does the site have a clean and simple layout that is easy to navigate?
- Imagery: Does the imagery match the target audience? Are you using photos that reflect your target audience?
- Photos: Are the photos professional? Or authentic candid shots that provide a great impression?
- Favicon: Is there a branded favicon included for when someone bookmarks your site or saves it to their home screen on their mobile device?
Your Audience Conversation
We all know that the first thing potential customers look for on your site is whether or not it speaks to them and their needs. If it doesn’t, they’ll bounce, and you’ll lose a sale.
- Speaking: Does the website speak to a clear target audience? This is one of the most important factors in creating a successful website. If you’re not speaking to your target audience, they’re not going to stick around. You want to make sure that you know who they are and what they need from you. We recommend CopyAI for copywriting.
- Pain Points: Does the content mention target audience pain points and offer solutions? Your goal should be to connect with visitors by mentioning their pain points and offering solutions for those problems. This will make them feel heard, which is an important part of building trust with potential clients or customers.
- Emotional Connection: The writing on your website needs to create a strong emotional connection with your target audience. You need to inspire them, motivate them, tell them stories, and tug at their heartstrings.
- Interactivity: Do you have an interactive component (such as a quiz, poll, survey, calculator, feedback form, or reward) to help engage your visitors on your website?
What’s the main purpose of your website?
To build something that looks cool for you and your friends to check out?
To build a digital portfolio of your work that you can point people to when they want to see what you’ve done?
The main purpose of your website is to build followers. It’s not just about getting visitors to your site, but rather getting them to follow you so they’ll come back often. You do this by offering them something they want in return for their email address, or encouraging them to follow you on social media or through an RSS feed. Once they follow you, you can communicate with them or offer them products, services, and specials as often as you want – for free!
- List-Buiding: Is there a strong list-building popup or inline form offering a free guide, ebook, video, course, consultation, etc.?
- Social Media: Are there prominent links to your social media profiles?
- Events: Are there scheduled events to build your list and to encourage people to take action by registering?
Make it Easy to Buy with eCommerce Components
Are you making it as easy as possible for your visitors to buy from you?
Everyone knows that the way you make money online is by having an effective website. But too many people make the mistake of thinking that designing their website means designing a pretty website, or one that’s full of colorful content.
In reality, those are just decorations on a cake with no frosting—they may look great, but they don’t do anything.
The truth is, most sites have low conversion rates because they’re hard to buy things from. The customer has to go through a lot of screens, or call you on the phone, or email you and wait for you to get back to them. These things all create friction between your visitor’s desire to buy from you and actually sending you money by credit card.
If your visitors don’t see an easy way to purchase from your website, or if they can’t find any information about how to do so at all, then there’s a good chance they’ll leave and never come back.
Don’t let this happen! Make sure that people can purchase products and services directly from your website using a credit card!
Credibility & Authority Components
We live in a world where people are constantly being bombarded with claims by companies, so it’s not surprising that many of us are skeptical of those claims.
But you can help your visitors overcome their skepticism and trust the claims made on your website by providing proof that your claims are true.
So, how do you prove your awesomeness?
Here are some ideas:
- Testimonials: Feedback from real people on why your product or service is amazing
- Case Studies: Real-life uses of your product or service to demonstrate the capabilities and benefits
- Screenshots: Screenshots of your product in action.
- Certifications & Association Memberships: If you have certifications, show them.
- Numerical/Statistical Proof: Show sample sales reports, list how many people you have helped.
Download the Website Home Page Copywriting Checklist
Fill out the form below, and we’ll send you our free Homepage Checklist so that you can make sure that your homepage is engaging for your audience.
You will receive instant access to the online version of this checklist you can use right away.
Don’t worry—we’ll never sell or give your contact info to anyone (we hate spam too!)
If you found this article useful, please share it on social media using the buttons below.
Want help to make your website amazing and include all these key marketing components? Our team is standing by. You can book a free consultation here.