When you get behind at work, you often stay late to finish. At some point, you might wonder whether it could also be a good idea to come in early. Lets look at the pluses and minuses when you go into work early.
Work Early Benefits
- Office is usually quieter with fewer people
- You may be at your freshest and highest energy levels
- So a good time to work on difficult projects
- If you still have to work late, you risk burnout
- If you come in early and leave early, others may think you are not doing a full day of work
- Upset household morning schedules (getting kids to school, etc.)
- If your manager comes in early as well, you are the only one for them to talk or delegate to – defeating the purpose of why you go to work early and potentially increasing your workload
Early vs Work Late
- If you won’t be penalized for working early instead of late, it can be a better use of your energy and reduce distractions if others work late instead of early
Which To Choose?
- If your energy levels are higher in the morning than later in the day
- No one else is in the office early so you can focus
- You will not be penalized for going home early
- Your household morning schedule can adapt to the change